In May we organized a ‘Parents Meeting’ at the Beehive Hall, Chilomoni attended by 65 parents of Seibo-partner nursery school children. The aim of the meeting was to provide advice to parents on parenting skills and also to discuss issues affecting the children both at home & school.
Issues discussed included:
1. Safety & Hygiene
We encouraged parents to become role models when it comes to hygiene and to teach the same to their children in areas such as;
– Making sure that children are bathed properly & are dressed appropriately for school.
– Making sure school uniforms are washed on a regular basis
– Washing hands with soap at all times.
– Washing hands before preparing and/or eating food and encouraging children to do the same
2. Common Childhood Illnesses
– As germs can spread easily with children playing in close proximity we asked parents to take their children to the clinic whenever they are sick to prevent the spread of diseases in school
– Some of the common diseases discussed during the meeting included: Malaria, Acute Respiratory Infections, Diarrhea, Bilharzia, Chicken Pox, etc
Another aim of the meeting was to renew the partnership between Parents and partner organizations. In this case- Seibo & the Outreach Department of the Mother Teresa Children’s Centre. For this purpose an MoU was reviewed and signed by the concerned parties outlining parental responsibilities and confirming all parties are both informed & accountable. Our thanks to our partners at the Mother Teresa Children’s Centre Outreach Team for their help organizing another successful parental forum!